School Youth Peer Support Specialist
S Sioux City, NE 68776 US
School Youth Peer Support Specialist | $38k-$43k/yr DOE
A local health center is searching for a School Youth Peer Support Specialist to join their growing team! The School Youth Peer Support Specialist will have direct experience with mental health services and will utilize those experiences to collaborate with, coach and challenge individuals to view their life situations as an opportunity for growth and change within each individual’s recovery. The School youth Peer Support Specialist will aid mental health providers and youth to move toward self-advocacy in the attainment of their own, culturally specific life goals.
This is a full-time position working out of the home office, but will travel to the rural schools in Northeast Nebraska. Pay is $38k-$43k/yr DOE.
School Youth Peer Support Specialist Responsibilities:
- Work closely with rural school-based therapists to coordinate and enroll student sin mental health services.
- Meet with parents to complete documentation needed to establish mental health services for students.
- Facilitate small groups each week in the school setting.
- Interact, build rapport, and connect with youth by sharing common experiences, modeling resiliency and recovery.
- Support youth involved with DHHS, the justice system, education system, youth, and family services.
- Assist youth in understanding components of recovery, resiliency, and in applying skills to achieve life goals.
- Provide individualized direct support to youth through empowerment and building confidence, with the overall goal to increase independence.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with individuals/groups from diverse populations.
- Attend youth case meetings (when requested) and other meetings as appropriate/assigned.
- Locate available resources, trainings, or skill-building opportunities that will help an individual young person to achieve his/her goals.
- Serve as a resource for youth served during scheduled appointments or designated drop-in hours.
- Participate in all required trainings; expected certification training within one year of hire.
To become a School Youth Peer Support Specialist, you’ll need:
- Minimum of an AA Degree.
- Must have direct experience with mental health and/or substance use services past or present and be able to bring this experience to ensure services, supports, and goals are driven by the youth.
- State of Nebraska Peer Support Specialist Certification preferred – Must become certified within one year of hire.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) – Preferred, but not required.
- Ability to model and maintain healthy boundaries with youth in order to promote accountability and independence, while consistently offering support.
Pay & Benefits:
- PTO, Sick, Personal, & Mental Health Days!
- Health, Dental, & Vision
- Life Insurance, Flex Spending Accounts & Supplemental Insurance
- Retirement with Company Match & More!
Interested? Apply Now at https://heartlandcounseling.bamboohr.com/careers
EOE/AA - Drug screen and background may be required.